Nintendo still losing money, but 3ds sales improving

Home     Forums     General Forums     Gaming News     Nintendo still losing money, but 3ds sales improving

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Nintendo’s first-quarter financial results, released this morning, saw the publisher post a loss as projected – but 3DS sales are on the up.

The net operating loss stood at ¥17.2 billion/$220.4m, an improvement on the previous year’s ¥25.5 billion Q1 loss, with sales down by ¥9.1bn ($116.4m) on this time last year. Nintendo sold 1.86 million 3DS units during the quarter, in comparison to 710,000 over the same period in 2011, at the time of the console’s European and North American launch, which means an increase of 162%. Software sales stood at 7.39 million, a 63% increase.

Nintendo has been selling the 3DS at a loss since the post-launch price cuts, but the financial results report that as of July 25th it is no longer selling at less than the manufacturing price, meaning that the company can start making money from sales of the console from this point onwards.

Lifetime sales of the 3DS now stand at 19 million. The Wii is sitting at 96.56 million, meaning it’s still currently the third best-selling home console of all time behind the PlayStation and PlayStation 2.

We can expect the 3DS XL to boost 3DS sales yet further in the next quarter – and with the Wii U out before the end of the year, it’s sensible to expect that Nintendo’s Q1 results for next year will rather different.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/25/nintendo-still-losing-money-but-3ds-sales-improving

Good to know that Nintendo’s sales are expected to rise. The 3ds has sold an impressive number of copies, I would like to know how many they have sold compared to other handhelds. 😀

Your thoughts on this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s good to know the sales are up but I feel like the wii u was the reason for a lack in profit.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Wii U hasn’t even been released yet though, and the Wii is the third most selling console of all time…I just think it’s cause they haven’t had any big new things recently…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yea because it’s not released yet they haven’t got anything back from all the money spent on development. So I hope it will change around once it is released, but I do wonder how it is going to be received.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, that’s what you mean. Sorry, I misunderstood you.

I actually believe that even though it may not be a great system, it will still be received well since Nintendo is a well known company.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am sure that nintendo will do well, I am just wondering how they can ever repeat the success of the Wii it was so ingenious at the time, just like I think where can the iPad go to next?

Anonymous
    Inactive

True, true. I think Nintendo needed to come up with a unique new console with an entirely different name. I just don’t think the Wii U is that ingenious of a console.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Agreed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is usually a strategy to take a loss now for a gain later. Manufacturers are known for giving away their consoles and making money on the accessories and video games instead. Once someone owns your console, well, they have to use it and that means several hundred dollars a year in sales.

However, I think console systems are loosing ground to mobile gaming, simple and affordable.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.